Democracy for America on Bernie’s “big win” in Iowa Caucuses
Quick reaction from Democracy for America's Charles Chamberlain to Bernie's huge Iowa Caucus victory tonight:
"The results tonight are not only a big win for Bernie, it's a tremendously important victory for the millions of struggling working families in the battle against income inequality, structural racism, and the moneyed interests who dominate our politics.
"Together, the people of Iowa and millions of grassroots progressives all across the country, turned a candidate who was polling in the single digits just six months ago into a race-altering, force of nature in the Democratic primary and national conversation.
"We've never been under the illusion that taking on the rigged political system in Washington would be easy, but tonight's incredibly strong showing for Bernie proves that the political revolution our country desperately needs is just getting started." -- Charles Chamberlain, Executive Director, Democracy for America
Additional facts about Democracy for America and our support for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 race:
- In December, DFA endorsed Bernie Sanders for President after the Senator received 87.9% of the more than 271,000 votes cast in a DFA member endorsement vote. This was the first presidential-primary endorse in DFA's 11-year history.
- Details about DFA's Bernie support
- DFA has spoken out strongly for DNC fairness after the party shut-off Sanders access to the voter file.
- DFA has worked to set the record straight when the Clinton campaign attacked Sanders on guns and single-payer healthcare.
- DFA has worked closely with the Sanders campaign and our grassroots members to mobilize and train the tens of thousands of volunteers needed to help Bernie win in early contests.
- DFA has over 1 million members across the country.
- Since its 2004 founding by Gov. Howard Dean, DFA members have knocked on hundreds of thousands of doors, made over 11 million phone calls, and raised and contributed more than $32.7 million to help elect 843 progressive candidates nationwide.